A lot of the movies or books that I entertain myself with seem to always reference The Great Gatsby so I thought it was fitting that I read it for my AP book. I read a lot of books during my 16 years of living but never one like this. The writing style was very unique and the story was different. It's set in the 1920's which intrigued me because I've always been a fan of the "Roaring Twenties". This is definitely one of those books where you have to push through the beginning because its slow but when you get to the middle or end its absolutely amazing. There's this sting of mystery and romance and it really pulls you in. At the beginning it's almost to much because you're introduced to so many characters so you're putting the pieces together but at the end it all fits into one big puzzle piece. One quote that really stuck with me was "Just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.." (1) It was on page one and stuck with me throughout the entire book. I think it had such an impact on me because it really is true. In the book Nick's father gives him this piece of advice and I really think everyone should follow it. We truly take some of the things we are gifted with for granted. For example a roof over our head. We don't realize how important that is but some kids don't have that. They struggle every day to find somewhere to rest their head every night. Some kids don't have the luxury of getting an education. We sit here and complain about it while another is fighting for that simple right. While this book was centered around love and friendships it also put a lot into perspective and gave a lot of good points. As someone who loves reading and loves English I would highly recommend this book to anyone that hasn't read it. Don't just watch the movie and stop there. Go out and buy it and fall in love with the humble, mysterious and loving characters. I'm very happy I chose this as my AP read.

Comments

  1. I read the Great Gatsby too, did you like it? I thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked The Great Gatsby you would also like The Color Purple because there is a bunch of similar struggles both novels have. In both these books the characters are both trying to find themselves and the novels show how they challenge these problems. In addition,The Color Purple also has a slow start, but further on the novel gets in depth and connects with you with its complex style.I hope you read The COlor Purple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time To Set Some Goals

Not Your Typical Love Story